Jack Cantlay, 18 years old, found a way to flip the switch and set a scoring record in the US Junior Amateur. Cantlay had a rough start to the first round on his first nine holes, which started on the 10th hole.
He carded a +3, 39 with a double bogey on his 3rd hole and birdie on his 9th hole. The birdie must have got Cantlay going because the difference between the two pairs of nines (front and back 9) were astonishing.
Jack Cantlay, the 18-year-old brother of Patrick Cantlay, set a US Junior Am record with a front-nine 28 on Monday at Bandon Dunes. Previous nine-hole record was 29, done twice. pic.twitter.com/QFYIgVO6B9
— Brentley Romine (@BrentleyGC) July 26, 2022
Unreal 9-Hole Stretch
Cantlay had four birdies and two eagles on his final nine holes to shoot an 8-under for 28. That set a US Junior Amateur record for the lowest nine-hole total in history. Additionally, these nine holes were not short, totaling 3539, including an eagle on a 595-yard, par 5 to end his day. Jack Cantlay had this to say after his round.
Cantlay said after his opening-round 67:
“It’s just another round of golf… Sometimes you play good and sometimes you play bad. Today, I played good… Every round of golf is the same,… Just try and go out and do what I did today.”
That even-keel mentality led him to become a record holder, but a lot of golf is left to be played to raise the hardware. After the conclusion of the second round today, the seeding of the 64 players that will move on to match play . This mentality that Cantlay portrays will help him get far into this historic tournament. He is currently one shot off the lead sitting at 5-under.
Where to Watch
Follow the action for now through the live scoring on usga.org and coverage on the Golf Channel on Friday, July 29th, starting at 5 PM CST, featuring the semifinals of the US Junior Amateur.
Cover Image Via Golf Magazine
- Patrick Cantlay’s Brother Sets US Junior Amateur Scoring Record in Astonishing Fashion – July 26, 2022
- Scottie Scheffler Has Uncanny Feel For Knowing His Distances – July 26, 2022
- Darren Clarke Joins Exclusive Class in Open Championship History – July 25, 2022
- LPGA Commissioner Mollie Marcoux Willing to Meet with LIV Golf – July 23, 2022
- Tennis Pro Mardy Fish Has Debut and Makes History on The PGA Tour – July 21, 2022
- Chicagoland Area Home Has Stunning Replica of The Famous 17th Hole at TPC Sawgrass – July 20, 2022
- Update: The 1st Annual US Adaptive Open – July 20, 2022
- Bryson DeChambeau & Bridgestone Golf Cut Ties Over Move to LIV Tour – July 14, 2022
- Tiger Was Messing With Rory On the Practice Green – July 12, 2022
- Daniel Berger Withdraws from 150th Open – Sahith Theegala is In – July 8, 2022
View All Posts